Monday, April 27, 2009

What if people treated church like television?

So I started thinking the other day and when that happens it can be scary. One thing that has bothered me a lot lately is Christian apathy when it comes to worship alongside other Christians in church. So here's where my thoughts went...

What if people treated church like television? I have been an avid E.R. watcher for years and am now hooked on Law & Order. Some of my youth are hooked on Lost and American Idol. Whenever we are together and someone is missing their show, they talk about it and bemoan the fact that they aren't able to watch it. The lucky fans are the ones who can TiVo the show or record it to their DVR. As soon as they can, they get back to their television to catch up on what they missed. And it never fails that after the show the fans find other fans and talk about what happened, what they liked, what they didn't understand, and what they didn't like.

What if there was as much passion about worshiping together as there is about watching television? What would the church look like if people wanted to do everything possible to not miss the worship time? If people had to miss a service, what difference would it make to have them trying everything they could to find out what they missed? At the end of worship what impact might it have if everyone found someone else to talk to about what happened and what they liked and what they didn't understand?

I am bothered by the fact that there is much more passion surrounding television shows than around the worship of God. On Easter everyone comes to church for their dose of God for the year. On EVERY Tuesday night millions of people gather around a screen to watch Biggest Loser. So what if people treated church like television?

But what if the church was like television? What characteristics would it have? Would it be like the Hallmark Channel that shows only the old tried and true shows? Would there be so many reruns that everyone watching know what's coming and if they miss the show it won't really matter? Like I said earlier I watch Law and Order. For those that don't know there is the original and Special Victims Unit and Criminal Intent. All three keep me interested with new storylines and twists and turns. But there was a fourth spinoff that didn't survive (Trial by Jury). When that show didn't work it was scrapped but one character was moved to the original Law and Order.

Churches so often create new things that don't end up working but are afraid to cancel it. They don't learn from the mistakes. Sometimes churches should shut down programs that don't work but take the elements that were good and find a way to use it. Maybe churches should find a way to keep a common thread but do what it takes to keep people intrigued and coming back for more. Maybe churches would do good to take some tried and true shows and combine them with new and exciting shows. What if the church would be like television?

So, a few random off the wall thoughts. What are yours?

1 comment:

Angie said...

Smart man that Brian Johnson. I had never thought about it, but I agree with you completely. And maybe I should turn my TV off and read more. Imagine how much of the Bible I could learn in the nearly 3 hours it takes me to watch 3 NCIS reruns. (Give me a little slack - I am a lucky "TiVo-er", so I watch it without commercials :-)